Friday, April 15, 2016

The Friday Five: Favorite Songs I've Never Told Anyone About Before

Welcome to The Friday Five, a series where, each week, bloggers and YouTubers are given a topic and assigned to choose five songs fitting it. This week was a wild-card topic, so this is the one I chose for myself: REVEAL FIVE FAVORITE SONGS YOU'VE NEVER TOLD ANYONE ABOUT!


"Best Song Ever" -  One Direction



For whatever reason, there's a stigma that says that guys aren't supposed to like boy bands and teen idols like One Direction. I say nuts to that! I like what I like, and I don't apologize for it! Anyway, now that I'm off my soapbox, let me tell you why I love this particular tune so much. I love songs about the power of music and how it can define a moment in our lives. (In fact, in that way, this song is basically a power-pop version of another favorite of mine, Clint Black's "State Of Mind.") I love how "Best Song Ever" states that it's not the quality or the message of the song that matters as much as what it symbolizes. That's all too true!

"1-2-3" - Len Barry



When it comes to evaluating songs, I'm more of a vocals/lyrics person than a music/production person. There are times, however, when the production is so AMAZING that it can overshadow lyrics that aren't anything special. "1-2-3" is a classic case of that sort! The lyrics aren't bad, but they are generic; it's something that you could hear in a ton of other '60s-era love songs. Just listen to that MUSIC, though! Isn't it awesome? Producer Jimmy Wisner took the "Wall Of Sound" recording techniques that Phil Spector had pioneered and did Spector one better. This is such an underappreciated gem!

"Future In Your Eyes" - Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes




Sometimes, I like to think about what my first dance with my bride will be. (That's the kind of thing we hopeless romantics think about sometimes.) Of course, my future bride will have a voice in this decision, too, but I'm definitely putting in a good word for "Future In Your Eyes!" The shuffling, bluesy beat would be perfect for a good, romantic dance. What makes this song really special to me, though, are the lyrics. Most love songs seem to be more about the excitement of infatuation, rather than sticking with someone forever. "Future In Your Eyes" gets all its romance from the idea of being with one person forever, and I love that. So, yes. This song is definitely in the running for my first dance!

"Just Love" - Chelsea Robson



I'm particularly happy to include this song on the list, because it happens to be by a friend of mine! It's been my pleasure to know Chelsea for a little over a year now, and I consider myself blessed to count her among my friends. I love her blend of country and pop; her voice features a great mix of femininity and moxie that reminds me of Linda Ronstadt and the band you'll find below! This song isn't one of her more uptempo numbers, but I love this song even more, because it always moves me. I'd feel awkward telling you much about this particular song, since it's based around such a personal story. I'll let Chelsea do most of the talking (and singing) here, but I will say that the song is wonderful!

"Walk Like An Egyptian" - The Bangles




Oh, how I love The Bangles. They're one of those bands that could capture any kind of vibe, from light frustration ("Manic Monday") to dramatic romance ("Eternal Flame"). They also crafted the ultimate dance song with "Walk Like An Egyptian!" All dance songs are fun to listen to, but I particularly love this one because of the message the lyrics evoke. I love that the Bangles portray their new dance as one that brings everyone together, from ancient civilizations to hardworking waitresses to punk teens to hard-nosed cops to... well, everyone! Heck, according to the Bangles, walking like an Egyptian can even promote world peace; they're even doing it in Russia and Japan! The idea that everyone can come together over dance and music is really appealing to me!

(Sidenote: doesn't Susanna Hoffs look beautiful at 2:46? I think I have a new celebrity crush.)


What about you? What favorite songs have you never revealed to anyone before?


No comments:

Post a Comment